When I started to write this blog, I thought it was a good opportunity for us to reconsider our way of life. I enjoy living in this country, so rich in manufactured products such as cars, home appliances, PCs and so on. We are surrounded by convenient tools that make living easy. In mid-winter, I could relax in a polo shirt. I felt that was natural.

I had been enjoying maguro sashimi, imported from the Mediterranean Sea, almost every other day. I knew it was not the best habit in terms of energy consumption. But, there was plenty at the market. This was also natural.

A Tokyo escalator is closed due to a restricted electricity supply. Photo by LuisJouJR, Flickr.

A Tokyo escalator is closed due to a restricted electricity supply.

Since the quake happened, we are living with only 60 percent of the normal electricity supply. As a result of this new economy of use, we put on more clothing –- the polo shirt gets supplemented by a long-sleeve fleece jacket. And for seafood, we eat smaller fishes like sardines, as we did in childhood. It is nice and tasty.

I have been reminded of a way of life we were satisfied with 50 years ago. We were mindful of the natural world and had no fear of wasting much energy.

Nuclear power created 30 percent of Japan’s energy. This system has merits for countries like Japan. We cannot ignore this merit. However, we cannot endure the tragedy going on.

Our life now must not be seen as simply an extension of the past life that we have been enjoying for the last 50 years. In August 1945, the Japanese people discovered who we were. We forced to face the given situation as a nation.

Traffic lights have been shut off to conserve electricity, and police direct traffic. Photo by LuisJouJR, Flickr.

It is absolutely clear that our country must survive as one that creates natural energy, not just one that economizes use of existing energy sources. Fortunately, we have not lost our ability to innovate technology, nor have we lost our ability to recover from tragedy with a united will.

Thank you for sympathies from all over the world. We recognize that we are admired for our behavior when it happened. We think those manners are quite natural. Even in stunning circumstances, we still had this sense in our DNA.

We have to recognize that our total resources are not large, and limit our energy-consumptive life. Recognizing what our country can do is great prophecy of what we shall do. All Japanese cry for and regret what people have suffered. But despite the many tears, we must not lose this consciousness of our fortitude.

I can see what we will do going forward with our energy use, and it is not so far beyond the point I had already reached on this diet. As I mentioned, I managed a 21 percent decrease of electricity consumption in February compared with January by taking steps on the diet. I hope we can become admirable as an energy-creative nation in the near future.

This must be my last entry on the Energy Diet blog. Thank you for reading my posts in these recent weeks.

Comments

1. Michael Chin
    New York City
    March 21, 2011, 1:55 pm

Sorry to see you go, Tatsuo. Wishing you, your family and your country the very best. Looking forward to watching you rebuild.

2. Tatsuo
    March 21, 2011, 4:21 pm

Thanks Mr. Chin !
    We have not passed on going tragedy. But we will be able to manage the situation and will rebuild. your worm sympathy is most strong support for people in Tohoku.

3. Mateja
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    March 22, 2011, 2:06 am

Mr.Tatsuo, I’m sorry to hear you are living this Diet, but I understand the reasons. I admire japanese people how well organised and disciplined you were in this days of tragedy that struck your country. We all follow the situation even we are far away from you. I strongly belive that if there is any nation on world which is capable to survive and to make progress from it, this is undoubtedly Japane.

4. W.H. Liao
    Tainac City, Taiwan
    March 22, 2011, 6:24 am

We Taiwanese should reduce our energy consumption, too. Hope you can recover soon.

5. Neil
    Tel Aviv
    March 22, 2011, 6:39 am

Tatsuo. You clearly speak from the heart. Thank you for sharing your views and insights. Best of luck to you.

6. Smit
    Mumbai, India
    March 22, 2011, 8:38 am

I have always admired Japan for its technology. You guys have an inspiring patriotism and ability look disasters in the face and recover from them only to be stronger. I am sure that this disaster though much more severe is not any different; in the sense that We will see a stronger and wiser Japan rebuilt very soon.
    Best of luck. Our support and prayers are with you.

7. steven
    singapore
    March 23, 2011, 12:58 am

all the best to your energy diet for this world and with japanese people perseverance, organize and determination japan country will be back to normal in a short period of time

8. Anna
    Malaysia
    March 23, 2011, 1:53 am

Mr Tatsuo, all our prayers and hope go to you, your family and country in this dire times. We know that Japan will overcome this setback and come back stronger and wiser.

Thank you for the insight news and we will miss all your write ups after this. Good luck and God bless

9. Tatsuo
    March 23, 2011, 2:52 am

I wish to bring all of your warm sympathy to the people who received hardness. More than 20,000 incredibly important lives were lost. You are kindly joining to regret 20,000 individual deaths. I still can not consider scale of tragedy by quantity of numbers. What you commented here is to recognize how important these individual loss was. Thank you all.

10. rina
    Malaysia
    March 23, 2011, 3:22 am

Mr. Tatsuo!!

wishing you n the Japanese all the best 🙂
    i hope and pray that things will b better soon.

keep on smiling and take care!!

11. clipton
    March 23, 2011, 10:32 am

Thank you for sharing Tatsuo. Your post is insightful, especially the comment, “recognizing what our country can do is great prophecy of what we shall do.” My heart goes out to your countrymen and women who are suffering.

You will be missed on this blog!

12. Guest2000000
    America
    March 23, 2011, 8:02 pm

My friend is missing!

13. boudour
    Abu Dhabi,UAE
    March 26, 2011, 2:22 am

Dear Tatsuo:
    I know u will be missed from all of us, but I want u to know that you and your family will be with us till the last minute, we r all proud of u. since we started this challenge together we had one thing in mind, making our world a better place. I believe that this is a celebration for all of us on our hard work; We Al Nowais family would love to share this hour with all the people who participated from the beginning. http://www.beyondthehour.org/