My wife and I are safe following the tragedy in northern Japan on Friday.

The Japanese government has announced that it will cut 25 percent of our electricity supply to compensate for structural damage caused by the earthquake.

It is more than easy for us to accommodate this change. Even if the country were not in such extraordinary circumstances, I could manage a certain economization of electricity without doing anything extra. My electric bill for February proved to be 20 percent lower than the previous month, which I attribute to our experiments on reducing electricity use on this diet.

We are seeing such tragedies in every minute, and we feel we will do as much as we can. From today, our family will stop using lights except for LED lights. Maintaining our quality of life doesn’t matter at all. I tried to look over the surroundings from my window in Kamakura — presumably, many of us are doing this. It is a much darker town tonight than on an ordinary Sunday evening.

I do not want any sense of luxury, such as floor heating, a bright living room at night and so on. We will share the mindset of people at the quake site. Whatever we can do, we will do.

I want to express our sincere thanks to your global sympathy for us. We are OK.

Comments

1. Michele
    March 14, 2011, 8:28 pm

Tatsuo,
    I am very glad that you and your familiy are ok. Thank you for sharing your views at this special moment.
    The Schmidt del Rio family are thinking of you and your Country in these, the toughest of times and are assured by the fact that Japan and it’s people have and always distinguished themselves for their resilience and ability to point and work towards better things.

2. Lindsay
    March 15, 2011, 8:47 pm

I am so happy that you guys are OK. There are many people here in Canada thinking and praying for you and your country. I think that it is a truly beautiful thing that you can think outside of yourself at a time like this and withdraw yourself from those luxuries you mentioned. Very inspiring.

3. Tatsuo
    Kamakura
    March 16, 2011, 1:54 am

Dear Michele,
    Thank you for your thought for our situation.Your great mind must support people at the site who are missing many. Various public functions are recovering. It is turning to be second stage. We shall settle effective method to rescue lives and support recovering. Now, we are struggling to find best way to support them. National Geographic Japan also supports volunteers who working at site.
    Thank you for your warm heart.
    Tatsuo

4. clipton
    March 16, 2011, 8:43 am

Tatsuo–Deepest sympathies for what your country is going through. It is heartbreaking to see damage from the natural disaster unfold. I hope that recovery is gaining momentum and that the radiation impact will be minimized. Your perspective and personal sacrifices are commendable.

5. Tatsuo
    March 16, 2011, 11:26 am

Dear Lindsay,
    Thank you for your worm words. After 3 days passed, Tokyo rea is getting setttled except for power house issue. It is quite natural to mindset like us with noticng exact situation in Tohoku. Otherwise,we can not endure with sadness and deep regret. We shall step ahead slowly for re-buildiing beautiful life of people live in Tohoku. We will do.
    I will mind your gentle gesture to courage myself standing up for hard reality.

6. Tatsuo
    March 16, 2011, 11:41 am

Dear Coach Chad,

I am regret that I could not post my blogs on the pase. It was exciting trial for us to this challenge. As a part of NGS, we intend to see exact scene of tragedy. And of course, we shall step ahead to re-estublish our country with energy conscious country. The event we are facing to is such a revolutionaly event. What we have been considering and trying shall be great hint to consder for our future.
    National Geographic can do somthing great when actuall start to rebuild our country.
    Thank you for your simpathy for us.
    Regards,
    Tatsuo

7. Yogesh
    March 17, 2011, 8:36 am

Happy to hear that you guys are ok.
    How can you help Japan http://bit.ly/gcjAAR

8. Tatsuo
    Tatsuo
    March 17, 2011, 10:58 am

Dear Yogesh,
    It is most helpful for people who suffered that sharing their feeling with people over the world like you. How Japanese encouraged by international admired its character on the reactions towards tragedy. We are proud of that. We are willing to overcome for creating better and much environment oriented life and country.Thanks Yoges!

9. Texas Electric Providers
    Texas
    March 28, 2011, 9:34 am

Texas Electric Providers are so glad that you people are fine.