This time when I visited local shopping mart I carried reusable jute/cloth sacks with me and while at the mart, all those shiny plastic boxes didn’t look so attractive. I was looking at the packaging type while picking up the stuff and I preferred paper packaging over plastic wherever feasible.
Though it is not easy to find organic food in this part of the world and it was all imported stuff, still i had a good look at the organic food section and picked a few, Once I try cooking these and if like the taste I will be able to take further buying decision.
In choosing any product, I am looking for these five things:
- what ingredients are in the product
- how the product is made
- where the product is made
- the company making the products
- what happens at the end of the product’s life
I have also reduced buying vegetables from the marts. I prefer visiting farmers market.
Already eliminated purchasing three imported items:
- Certain type of Tea ( won’t tell the brand name as I was loyal to them for more than a decade )
- Various nuts ( they come in small ploy pouch and cans )
- Canned Sardine (proud of this step, as this will also reduce my non-vegetarian intake)
Instead of buying chemical based detergent and cleaning liquids I am trying to find ways if I can make such cleaning material at home, so I additionally bought these items
- Baking Soda
- White Vinegar
- Tea Tree Oil
To my surprise I found these items very effective in cleaning. I followed some of the procedures from eartheasy.com.
Last week only I started using OpenIntents Shopping List for Android™ which lets me create multiple shopping lists, this is a smart way to do only necessary shopping based on the categories I create. Now I can also make sure that I am not buying unnecessary stuff or something that I don’t need for another month.